Monday, October 7, 2013

7 Surprising Small Business Statistics

Although generally on this blog we talk about custom envelope design and/or how they can be used for marketing, we occassionally like to talk about issues and news related to small businesses. The majority of our customers tend to be small businesses, and PrecisionEnvelope.com is a small business (According to the SBA, technically any company with less than 500 employees is a small business). So we recently were doing some research regarding small business and we just happened to come across a collection of surprising, interesting and just plain shocking American small business statistics. Check them out, and let us know what you think in the comments!

  • 52% of All Small Businesses are Home-based: When you've got a great idea but no money, sometimes your only choice is to work out of your home. In fact, dozens of hugely successful companies (including Apple and Mattel) started out of the home.
  • Fastest Growing Small Business Sectors are auto repair shops, beauty salons & dry cleaners: If in your neighborhood it feels like there's a beauty salon or dry cleaner on every corner, now you know why!
  • Over Half a Million New Business Are Started Each Month: In total 543,000 small businesses are started in the United States each month.
  • The #1 Reason Why Start Ups Fail is they Scale Prematurely: While having a long term business plan is great, expanding the business before it's ready can lead to you closing the doors.
  • 50-70% of Small Businesses Fail within the First 18 Months: While those first few years are the toughest, if you can get past that your liklihood to succeed will increase significantly.
  • But 86% of Small Business Owners Believe They Can Do Anything they Set their Minds to: Sometimes a great idea and a can do attitude is all you need to make it work!

Small Business Failure Rate by Industry:
  • Manufacturing: 48.4%
  • Services: 47.6%
  • Wholesaling & Agriculture: 47.4%
  • Retailing: 41.1%
  • Finance, Insurance and Real Estate: 39.6%
  • Transportation, Communications and Utiliies: 39.4%
  • Construction: 36.4%




(Sources: http://smallbiztrends.com/2012/09/failure-rates-by-sector-the-real-numbers.html. http://www.valuewalk.com/2013/09/small-businesses-infographic/, http://www.businessinsider.com/small-business-owners-are-optimistic-2013-6)

3 comments:

  1. Here is Mr Benjamin contact Email details,lfdsloans@outlook.com. / lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Or Whatsapp +1 989-394-3740 that helped me with loan of 90,000.00 Euros to startup my business and I'm very grateful,It was really hard on me here trying to make a way as a single mother things hasn't be easy with me but with the help of Le_Meridian put smile on my face as i watch my business growing stronger and expanding as well.I know you may surprise why me putting things like this here but i really have to express my gratitude so anyone seeking for financial help or going through hardship with there business or want to startup business project can see to this and have hope of getting out of the hardship..Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I now own a business of my own with the help of Elegantloanfirm with a loan of $900,000.00 USD. at 2% rate charges, at first i taught with was all a joke until my loan request was  process under five working days and my requested funds was transfer to me. am now a proud owner of a large business with 15 staffs working under me. All thanks to the loan officer Russ Harry he is a God sent, you can contact them to improve your business on.. email-- Elegantloanfirm@hotmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Mrs Nadia Albert from Russia, And i am a happy woman today through the help of a Loan lender, Mr Russ Harry. I will refer any person that is looking for loan to this Loan firm. He gave  happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $500,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 2 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $500,000.00 US Dollar, at a low Rate. He is a God fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him Via E-mail-Elegantloanfirm@hotmail.com /Whatsapp number+393511617486

    ReplyDelete